How to Set Healthy Boundaries
One of the best ways to take control of your life, get more done, and be happier is to know what you want and how to get it. Setting boundaries in life is one of the ways that you can experience more success because you’re stopping things from getting in your way by claiming what you want.
• Know Yourself – Before you can make decisions about anything in life, you need to know who you are, what your morals, principles, and ideals are about life. Plus, you need to have an idea of how to achieve what you want.
• Write a Life Mission Statement – To help you learn more about yourself, it can help to write a life mission statement. This statement can then be used to inform yourself about your values, morals, and principles
• Define Your Feelings – One way that people start pressuring themselves to do things they don’t want to do that defy their boundaries is allowing feelings like resentment and discomfort to get in the way. Try to get comfortable with feeling these emotions for a short time because they really will vanish as you do the right thing for yourself.
• Use Direct Language – When you do get asked to do something, or someone is somehow overstepping your boundaries, it’s okay to use direct language to claim your space again. Tell them why and don’t be shy about it. You can be kind in the telling even while being direct.
• Learn from Your Experiences – The best thing about being human is that you can learn from every experience you have. Note how you feel when you stand up for yourself. Not how others treat you when you act with kindness, yet set healthy boundaries. You’ll soon realize that what you’re doing is right for you and them.
• Take Care of Yourself in All Ways – It’s a lot easier to make good decisions if you are also taking care of yourself, mind, body, and spirit. Self-care goes behind getting a massage or a facial. It’s all about how you take care of yourself in every single way.
• Practice – Like any new skill, setting and claiming boundaries requires you to do it. The more you practice doing it, the easier it’ll become, and the more it’ll feel like you.
• Get the Right Type of Help – If you are having issues setting boundaries and claiming them in a way that is working for you, a life coach might be able to help you.
Once you learn to set boundaries, it may take a little practice getting used to doing it, but once you do this one thing, you’re going to start getting more done and succeeding faster than you ever thought possible. Nothing will be able to stop you.